Saturday, July 25, 2009

10# Microstock Series - Subject Isolation


I thought I share with you something that happen to me recently. The image above was submitted to Dreamstime and got rejected. So I wrote in to inquire as to why it was rejected. The answer I got would change the way I look subjects isolated against a white background for Microstock. Call me naive but if you were like me you would be interested in this:

"Although you might have intended the shadow to add some dramatic look to the image, we don't feel it has a sales potential. Images isolated on white background almost always end up as design elements, for further processing. Shadows don't help here much - if needed, they are easily added, but removing them is much more time consuming."

Ok for those who missed the point here is what it means "Images isolated on white background almost always end up as design elements, for further processing....." I was like ^&%^&%*& I wish someone told me this earlier hehe. Anyways hope you don't run into a brick wall the same way I did. Happy shooting and happy selling.

3 comments:

  1. good info... sometimes i just get riled up on what they think is sales potential or not.. but then.. they see the big picture.. too bad they just don't share it with everyone.. so we can actually deliver to them better and more focused results..

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, thanks for sharing the tips.
    i have too many rejected photos :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. @hasnul: yeah his comments hit my head like a brick. I was like "duh" why did I not think of that. But its better late than never.

    @Marvin: no worries. It gets depressing but after a while you will get the idea of things. Have a look at readers digest images and other people stock photos as well. Keep in mind that the bulk of stock buyers are still from the US so make sure your images are relevant to them.

    ReplyDelete