Thursday, January 22, 2009

AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D

This little gem is one of the few lenses which lay hidden since Nikon introduced their killer trinity lens combination (14-24 - wide, 24-70 - mid, 70-200 - tele). During the film days this lens was frequently used for landscapes and street photography. Having a fixed large aperture of f/2 makes it an interesting "wide" angle lens for hand held low light photography.


I also decided to do a quick test on the Carl Zeiss 35mm f/2 since I was there. Check out the images below.




Though they are not identical in terms of distance but there were not much changes in the subject and lighting. The Zeiss is close to 3x the price of the Nikkor. I don't know if you can tell the difference between the two; but to my untrained eye my money is on the Nikkor why?

1) Value for money the Nikkor is almost 3x cheaper. Although the Zeiss has a very solid feel and built quality but would you really be willing to pay for it?

2) Half the weight of the Zeiss and almost half the size. Put that on a D3 and lugg around two bodies and you will be thinking of ways to lighten the load.

3) Auto Focus - I really can't leave without it can you?

4) If you don't pixel peep can you actually "see" the sharpness or details difference? Do you print your work at 100%?

So you still say the 35mm Zeiss is better? well then... the Zeiss would be your choice if:

1) You do a lot of pre-focus shooting
2) You like manual focus
3) You got cash to burn

As for me, this lens would replace the Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 which I currently use for events since I cannot afford the discontinued Nikkor 28mm f/1.4 or the Nikkor 35mm f/1.4. I will be test driving this lens in the next wedding dinner so stay tune for more updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment