Saturday, March 28, 2009

Imitation or Fake Nikon Batteries

There seems to be a spike of Fake or Imitation Nikon batteries flooding the market. This spike got me worried as well so I decided to do some research on the net and made comparisons with the Nikon batteries I have. From what I know the existence of imitation products has been verified by Nikon for the following Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL3e, EN-EL8, EN-EL10,EN-EL5,EN-EL1, EN-EL2 and EN-EL3.

Since I have 2 units of the EN-EL3e I shall show the analysis base on that. From my understanding an original EN-EL3e battery must have all of the below criteria (Both samples below should be original batteries):


  • Authentic Nikon battery has a bolder font.
  • Original seal MUST have 4 notches and gold in color.
  • ALL EN-EL3e Batteries are made in Japan and NOT China. (I could be wrong on this)
For more information on the rest of the affected batteries you can check out this site.

1 comment:

  1. That is correct. They should also have silver contacts, not bronze/copper ones. I just bought one from Fredmiranda that I was told was an en-el3e. We'll see when it arrive. It wasn't expensive, but it's really buyer beware out there. The prices on these batteries has gone through the roof since Nikon was forbidden from making these. You can't find them for under $70 at the retail places, and the used ones are getting more difficult to find...Thanks for posting this. I believe you've got the Gen1 and Gen2 batteries shown here.

    ReplyDelete