Thursday, March 19, 2009

Pre-wedding Lens Selection for Full Frame

A friend asked me today since I am an avid Nikon user and I have done a couple of pre-weddings what would my lens choice be. I told him in order of preference and frequency of use my lens choices would be:
  • AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED (Used 50% of the time)
  • AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Used 30% of the time)
  • AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED (Used 20% of the time)
  • AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED (I don't have this but if I did it will be used a lot more frequent than the existing 14-24 which I have)
Although I have an assortment of other lenses I still ended up using the above selection the most. Please note that the above selection is for FX only. If I were to go back in time I would have placed a higher priority and purchased the 17-35mm first and then the 14-24. Why?
  • It's cheaper
  • It accepts filters not only your traditional UV or Clear filter but CPL filters as well
  • Zoom range is perfect for events.
  • The 14-24mm built in hood is not that good. At 14mm the lens protrudes from the hood (sides). So if you get hit from the side during an event its going to hurt. So be extra careful. I tend to get clumsy with 2 bodies.
Don't get me wrong the optical quality of the 14-24 is legendary and it's just a matter of personal preference. Would I trade it for a 17-35? Of course not. If you are going FX the 14-24 is a must have. If you are a Canon user I believe the most frequently used wedding lens would be (Jerry Ghonis & Marcus Bell uses the below combination):
  • Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L
  • Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L
  • Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L (Yervant uses this alot)
BTW: If you find the information in this site useful please help me by visiting the sponsors of this site.

No comments:

Post a Comment