Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Lightroom 2 Book for Digital Photographers


I recently switched workflow from a ViewNX / Capture NX combo to Lightroom / Photoshop combo. I personally found the new combination to be more efficient and faster especially when it comes to the management of bulk images. I won't go further into the which one is more superior or this software can do that while the other one cannot debate.

The more I use the more question I had, which lead me scouring the internet for information which lead to even more questions than I originally had. Some of the Lightroom 2 questions which were bugging me:
  • How should I organize my files now that I am using Lightroom? Should I keep it in a proper folder with proper categorization or should I just import / move all the folders via the Lightroom import option?
  • Stupid questions like what happens after I import and I delete the files or I move it?
  • How do I apply batch or global corrections? Can it do like what Capture NX batch process can? Is it faster? or worse?
  • What happen to my Nikon colors? What has Ligthroom done to it? Why is it different?
  • A tons of other questions which will take another 2 page to add.
So I took some time to visit the local bookstore. I spent an hour browsing through a few Lightroom 2 books, while some were decently good in explanation others were downright confusing. When I look at the first few pages of this book I knew this was the one I needed. Why you may ask?
  • Step by Step Guide - I was looking at a book which would tell me how should I proceed in the organization of my images for long term. I found it here. I like to questions things or how its done so what I liked was it told me what to do and what not to do and most importantly why that was the best way, which at this stage was what I actually needed.
  • Structure - The book is structured just like how Lightroom is structured so you will feel like someone is actually by your side walking you through the software. It guides you from the very beginning Library -> Develop -> Slideshow -> Print -> Web.
  • Language & Style - Scott Kelby is no stranger to the Adobe community and his witty / plain simple easy to understand makes it interesting.
  • Experience - Unlike traditional text book style writing Scott incorporates a lot of real world examples, sharing his workflow and experience. He is tell you upfront the problems he has faced so you will learn from his mistakes.
So for the price of RM 171.90 from your local bookstore it will give you the knowledge and the edge you need to survive competitively as a digital photographer. I got mine at Borders Bookstore in Tropicana Mall (Last two books left).

P/S: Did the book answer all my questions? well I am still reading it and so far it's getting interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment